I do not choose to be a common person.
  我不要选择做一个普通人。
  
It is my right to be uncommon—if I can.
  如果我可以,我有权成为杰出的人。

I seek opportunity—not security.
  我寻求机会,不寻求安稳。
 
 I do not wish to be a kept citizen,
  我不想成为一位有保障的国民,
  
humbled and dulled by having the state look after me.
  孱弱而沉闷的安享着国家的照顾。

I want to take the calculated risk,
  我要做有意义的冒险。

  to dream and to build,
  我要梦想,我要创造。
 
 to fail and to succeed.
  我要失败,我也要成功。

I refuse to barter incentive for a dole;
  我渴望奖励,拒绝施舍。
 
 I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence;
  我宁要充满挑战的人生,也不要万无一失的活着;
 
 the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of Utopia.
  宁要心满意足的颤抖,也不要萎靡虚空的平静。

I will not trade my freedom for beneficence
  我不会拿我的自由换取恩惠。

  nor my dignity for a handout.
  也不会拿我的崇高换取救济。

I will never cower before any master
  我绝不在任何权威面前发抖,

  nor bend to any threat.
  也绝不为任何恐吓所屈服。

It is my heritage to stand erect, proud, and unafraid;
  我的天性是挺胸直立,骄傲,且无所畏惧。

  to think and act for myself;
  我要自由的思考和行动。

  to enjoy the benefit of my creations;
  我要纵情于我的创造的价值。

and to face the world boldly
  我要光荣的面对着世界,

  and say:
  我要说:
 
 "This, with God's help, I have done."
  “在上帝的帮助下,我做到了。”